The scripts will be work shopped for camera in preparation for the production of the films with the aim of the films being completed by March 2014. During this process each director will be provided with the necessary tools to break down scripts for camera as well as detailed strategies for extracting the best performances from the actors.
The successful projects and teams will then be provided with a professional production crew to shoot their film. A post-production supervisor will be appointed to assist them in the editing and final delivery of the film.
Finally, a special premiere of three of the best completed films as chosen by their peers will be held at a suitable venue to be confirmed with the cast, crew and creative personnel as well as NFVF council and staff.
The theme for the 2013/14 films will be centered around a youth orientated look at society and in particular, the interactions between the different generations. The films may address relationships between parents and children, siblings of the current generation juxtaposed against siblings in a past or even future generation. The objective is to allow the youth to express their unique view of the world today in relation to a world steeped in traditions, norms or habitual behaviour.
In order for a filmmaker to be considered for this opportunity, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
b. Have graduated from an accredited tertiary film programme within the last two years.
b. Have majored in one or more of the following: writing, directing, editing, cinematography or producing.
c. Be a Historically Disadvantaged Individual as defined in the constitution of South Africa.
d. Be under 35 years old.
e. Be able to set aside the requisite time over a period of 10 months to complete the programme.
Eligible candidates for the project must:
- Have a strong written concept for a 24 minute stand alone film with a clearly thought out premise or controlling idea that would allow it to be packaged with the other projects with the theme of “Out of the mouths of babes".
- Demonstrate familiarity with the tools of scriptwriting including software, formatting, scheduling and editing.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to work as a part of a team in the pursuit of the same objective.
- Understand the value of and is able to work under pressure and tight schedules.
- Have a showreel or, in the case of writers – a script, that demonstrates their creative abilities.
- Have a portfolio of work to show their capability.
All applications should be able to provide the following documentation in hard copy (in triplicate) for consideration:
1. Narrative treatment for 24 minute film including character bible, detailed synopsis, major turning point document.
2. CV and copy of ID document.
Closing Date: 21 June 2013