CALL FOR DOCUMENTARY SLATE PROPOSALS
The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) is calling for proposals for a Documentary Slate to the value of R4.5m over a period of 3 years. The slate is targeted at Tier 2 Production Companies with an aim of cultivating sustainability and viability.
Tier 2 Production Companies are defined in the NFVF Funding Policy as “Filmmakers with limited experience in the film industry, but who have developed and produced 1-2 feature length films, television fiction and/or, 2-3 documentary short films seeking to venture into feature film or documentary development and production”.
Over the period of 3 years the successful Production Company must develop a minimum of 9 projects of which 3 must be produced into a feature length documentary.
- Year 1: Develop a minimum of six scripted documentaries;
- Year 2: Develop a minimum of three documentaries and produce two feature length documentaries; and
- Year 3: Produce one feature length documentary.
The Slate is valued at R4.5 million over 3 years allocated as follows:
- R1 500 000.00 - for development of a minimum of 9 projects with a 25% cap for overheads; and
- R3 000 000.00 - for production of 3 feature length documentaries at R1 000 000.00 each.
WHO QUALIFIES TO APPLY?
Qualifying applications must be submitted by production companies which meet the following requirements:
- A Tier 2 Production Company as defined which is 100% South African owned and at least 51% black owned and managed;
- At least 2 documentary films which have been broadcast on television or exhibited in a film festival;
- At least 3 (three) concepts identified for development, to which the applicant owns at least 51% of the Intellectual Property; and
- A clear training and development strategy in place.
WHO DOES NOT QUALIFY?
- Past and Present NFVF Slate recipients; and
- Individuals and/or Production Companies that have at least 3 (three) active NFVF funded projects across the value chain i.e. Development, Production, Post Production, Marketing and Distribution and Festival Funding Support.
- BBBEE and Transformation;
- Quality of the proposal (e.g. concept, theme, relevance, target audiences);
- Team’s expertise, capacity and experience;
- Capability to raise additional funding;
- Marketing and Distribution strategy;
- Skills and development plan.
COMPULSORY APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
All applicants must submit the following compulsory documentation:
- Applicant must submit a business plan demonstrating the Company’s strategy and plan for growth towards sustainability and viability. The business plan must include but not be limited to the following:
- Business model;
- Budget, Finance and Recoupment plan;
- Marketing and Distribution Strategy and Plan;
- CV of key management and creative team;
- Proposed production schedule; and
- Showreel and/or portfolio of work.
- BBBEE certificate;
- Original valid tax clearance certificate;
- Company registration documents; and
- A minimum of 3 concepts ready to pitch for development.
Failure to submit any one of the compulsory documentation will render the application incomplete and therefore disqualified for consideration.
For more information contact: email@example.com
The call closed on the 26th September 2016 and has been extended to the 18th of October 2016.
Applications may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Please ensure that the subject is titled: 2016 Documentary Slate.[Back]