International Festivals and Markets
Since 2000, the South African film industry has consistently participated in major film festivals around the world and has had an official presence at the Cannes film festival since 1997.The regular, consistent and co-ordinated participation at these events has raised the profile of South African film and television content and by implication the industry as a whole. The NFVF provides funding to filmmakers to attend screenings of their work at selected international festivals and events and to attend international markets where they can pitch their projects and gain financing to advance their projects.
South African filmmakers can benefit from international festivals as they offer opportunities to:
- Increase their networks of international contacts
- Conduct business according to international standards and develop strong business models for their companies
- Develop the skills needed to operate within the international film environment
- Secure finance for a projects
- Get support for projects that have been invited to internationally recognised pitching forums or competitions
- Enhance the profile of their films and increase international appeal
To view the profiles of international festivals and markets that the NFVF participates in, click here.
To apply for international festival and market funding, download the form below.
Application Form: Festivals and Markets Funding